Free Shipping on All orders over $20.00
Cart 0
Butte, Anaconda and Pacific Railway Logo Shirt

Butte, Anaconda and Pacific Railway Logo Shirt

$20.00

Butte, Anaconda and Pacific Railway Logo Shirt                            

  •  Logo Printed on Front
  • 100% Cotton
  • Shirt Color = Dark Green

The Butte, Anaconda and Pacific Railway (reporting mark BAP) is a short line railroad in the U.S. state of Montana which was founded in 1892.[1] It was financed by the interests behind the Anaconda Copper Mining Company and operated primarily to carry copper ore from the mines at Butte, Montana to the smelters at Anaconda, Montana, although the company was chartered as a common carrier and also carried passengers and general freight.

The BA&P was an electrification pioneer, converting in 1913 and being the first primarily freight railroad to electrify. Electrification was at 2,400 volts DC;[2] the work was performed by General Electric and the railroad's own staff. As described in a period article:

The length of this line was 30 miles, having a total of 114 miles of single trackage, and considerable heavy grade. The electric locomotives hauled heavy ore trains and the operating results from every viewpoint far exceeded expectations. Mr. John D. Ryan, principal owner of this road,[...] (says) that "the cost was within the original estimate, the operation has been an unqualified success and the economy at least 50% in excess of the promises of the engineers at the time the work was undertaken. The tonnage handled over the lines increased over 50% in three years ; no difficulty has been found in moving the increase, and in the opinion of the railway managers the main line and two of the principal branches had reached the capacity of single track when electrification came into use."

— E.W. Rice Jr.[2]
The electrification was abandoned in 1967 as it had become cheaper to operate diesel-electric locomotives.

Many resources of the railway were included in the Butte, Anaconda and Pacific Railway Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.BAP,

 

     

    *Image is a representation and may not be exact


    Share this Product


    More from this collection