Lock iconRectangle 1Rectangle 2 + Rectangle 2 CopyShapeRectangle 1

Borden Milk Car Logo Shirt

  • Sale
  • $20


 Borden Milk Car Logo Shirt

  • Printed on Front
  • 100% Cotton
  • Shirt Color - Light Green

Large cities in the eastern United States encouraged nearby rural areas to specialize in production of milk, but milk cars were transporting milk up to 300 mi (483 km) by 1900. Railroads connecting these rural areas to cities scheduled daily milk trains (sometimes called milk runs) to pick up loaded milk cars from collection points along their route.[1] These trains sometimes carried a mail car and a passenger car. Milk trains usually arrived at their destination cities in the late evening so the milk could be unloaded and processed for delivery the following morning. A returning train of empty milk cars departed the city in the early morning hours. These were often the last scheduled passenger trains serving those rural areas, and most milk was traveling in highway trucks by 1960. Rail transport of milk peaked in 1931 when the Official Railway Equipment Register listed 2174 railway-owned milk cars and 480 cars owned by shippers. Most railway-owned milk cars were made of wood; but the Erie Railroad built over two hundred steel cars in the 1930s, and fifty steel cars delivered to B&M in 1958 were the last milk cars built for United States railroads. The last fifteen were numbered 1900-1914, and equipped with gasoline-powered mechanical refrigeration to transport bottled milk as a unit train from Bellows Falls, Vermont to First National Stores in Somerville, Massachusetts. B&M cars numbered 1915-1934 were built without mechanical refrigeration and served as insulated boxcars when no longer needed for milk transport. After bottled milk loadings ended in 1964,[1] B&M made the last United States delivery of bulk milk in August 1972 to Boston from Eagle Bridge, New York.