Allegheny Airlines Shirt
- Logo Printed on Front
- 100% Cotton
- Shirt Color - Allegheny Blue
In 1949 the company was renamed All American Airways as it switched from air mail to passenger service. On 1 January 1953 it was again renamed, to Allegheny Airlines. Like other local service airlines of the time, Allegheny was subsidized; in 1962 its operating revenues of $23.5 million included $6.5 million in "public service revenue".
In 1960, Allegheny headquarters were in Washington, D.C.
Allegheny added the Convair 540 to its fleet in 1961. The aircraft proved unreliable, incurring problems with its British-made Napier Elands that had replaced the Convair's piston engines. The airline bought new Fairchild F-27Js that the company named "Vistaliner". The F-27J was a U.S.-built version of the Fokker F27. The airline switched to General Motors/Allison turboprops in the Convair 580 which the carrier named the "Vistacruiser".
Allegheny Airlines was the first airline to create a network of affiliated regional airlines, the Allegheny Commuter System.
Contributing to Allegheny’s growth were the acquisitions of regional carriers Lake Central Airlines in 1968 and Mohawk Airlines in 1972. Mohawk added BAC One-Elevens to the fleet. Allegheny added other jets, notably the McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30 which the company named the "Vistajet". Other jets included Boeing 727-100s and 727-200s.
As deregulation dawned, Allegheny, looking to shed its regional image, changed its name to USAir on October 28, 1979